How complex is your product?
😬 How hard is it for a new user (or small group of users) to self-serve their way to first value?
What do I actually mean by self-serve? I mean without manual support or intervention from your team...
If you're unsure ->> look at your data or ask yourself: How many of our last 10 signups self-served their way to first value?
We tend to categorize products into 3 groups.
1. Simple products like Slack and Dropbox.
2. Intermediate products like HubSpot and Adobe.
3. Complex products like Salesforce and Amplitude.
What is the difference?
- Simple products could have a free trial, but are highly likely to have a freemium model as well.
- Intermediate products have a free trial, but do not have a freemium version.
- A complex product might have a free trial period, but is more likely to only sell to customers who go through a sales demo with a more hands-on approach.